TDA supports the delivery of the English Riviera Destination Management Plan
The English Riviera Destination Management Plan (DMP) 2017-2021 ‘Delivering a Prosperous and Healthy Torbay’, replaces the previous Tourism Strategy ‘Turning the Tide.’ It aims to provide a shared approach between key stakeholders to effectively manage tourism for the whole destination.
With a focus on developing a successful visitor economy, the DMP presents clear priorities and actions for stakeholders involved to take the destination forward. The plan aligns collaborative effort, reducing duplication and maximising local investment.
Working collaboratively, the Destination Management Group has:
- Produced new cultural tourism products, led by Torbay Culture working with TDA and the English Riviera BID company.
See Writer’s on the Riviera and Speed Up, Slow Down
- Aligned the English Riviera UNESCO Global Geopark with education curriculum led by South Devon College, creating a new Outdoor Leadership programme and Apprenticeship standard
- Supported businesses during COVID-19 with business support and accessing grants, with TDA, ERBIDCo and Torbay Council working together
- Attracted inward investment including four Fragrance Group new hotels, THAT Group town developments and local business redevelopments
- Secured marketing of the destination for a further five years with ERBID2
Destination Management Group
Formed in 2018, the Destination Management Group (DMG) has a joined-up approach for tourism. Working in partnership for the destination with the shared vision to develop the English Riviera’s visitor economy it brings organisations together across all sectors.
The DMG is collectively focused to drive the DMP forward to ensure the Plan’s overall objective is achieved, specifically to:
- Increase year-round growth in visitor numbers (UK and International)
- Extend the current season beyond the school holidays
- Attract new visitors (UK and International)
- Increase visitor spend
- Attract investment and reinvestment
- Ensuring sustainable delivery of marketing activity for the destination
- Raise level of skills in the sector.
The DMG are the custodians of the DMP and is a strategic collective group with a shared vision and interest in the management of the destination. The group has no executive powers, other than those responsibilities designated in the Plan. You can see all the DMG partners in our Terms of Reference and view further key documents here: